We all know that today there is no occupation that does not have moral standards, including the most sacred profession which is medicine; from the time of its emergence till today, it has been defined by ethical rules and principles to maintain its sanctity and purity at different times. In accordance with the requirements and betterment of disciplines in this sacred profession, researchers and scientists have presented new principles that are recognized and used in most countries of the world as the accepted principle.
The Afghanistan Medical Council, which was recently established by the decree of the Honorable President, from the very first days of its establishment, in order to provide more patient safety and defend the professional rights of the country's doctors, has emphasized and prioritized the promotion of medical ethics in the health sector. Fortunately, today we have obtained the document and tools related to the medical ethics, which includes the National Medical Ethics Guideline that is recognized as an official document, and, in addition to the other essential elements mentioned below, as one of the first documents produced in this field:
- A set of guideline for primary guidance for the training of the Medical Ethics master trainers.
- A set of guideline for advanced guidance of the master trainers in order to train other hospital staff.
- Training Manual for Master Trainers to Train Other Hospital Staff.
- Terms of reference for the medical ethics committee and hospitals.
- Development of a strategy for medical ethics in order to introduce it as a specific program in the health sector.
- Formulation of the medical ethics regulation.
- Development and expansion of slogans and billboards of Medical ethics.
- Developing scenarios for the education and awareness of doctors and society.
- Developing different formats for the implementation of the pillars of medical ethics within hospitals and health facilities.
Afghanistan Medical Council believes that if the practice of medicine is a privilege, ethics is its principle, therefore, the honorable doctors of the country need to be aware of the newly updated principles and rules that are constantly being introduced and make use of it during their professional activities; because medical ethics and its obedience can increases doctors popularity and rebuild the lost faith of society on doctors and as a result lead to patient and doctors safety.
The pillars of Medical Ethics:
In addition to the other titles, the contents of the guideline consists of the four pillars of medical ethics, which is, in fact, defined globally and is applied and adopted in all countries. The pillars include the following:
- Patient Autonomy
Objectives of the National Medical Ethics Guideline:
The objectives of this guideline are as follows:
- To raise the level of awareness of doctors and the students of all fields of medicine in the country.
- Improvement of professional medical commitment and the practice of medical ethics in the country.
- Raise people's trust in doctors and increase doctor’s credibility among people.
- Strengthening the spirit of co-operation and encouragement of doctors in the affairs of group works.
- Improve the decision-making spirit of doctors who need to make systematic and academic decisions.
- To institutionalize Medical ethics in teaching academic institutions for specialists and sub-specialty programs.
- Awareness of people and society about doctor’s health care decision making methods.
This guideline covers topics such as training, service delivery and health care workers.
The scope this guideline:
This guideline is for the benefit of the country’s doctors and does not include other categories of staff.
- This guide does not address complex and specific issues.
- This guidance is included in academic institutions and continuous education of specialty and sub-specialties.
- An annual assessments of doctors at all levels is based on this guidance.
- This guide is fully applicable to all public and private health facilities in the country.
- This guideline is revised every five years.
Medical Ethics as a program:
The Afghanistan Medical Council is determined to use the following methods and mechanisms to institutionalize the medical ethics in the health sector of the country:
- Capacity building;
- Raising awareness of the community;
- Including teaching of medical ethics in the curriculum of higher education institutions;
- Strengthen the role of medical ethics standards;
- Strengthen Governance;
- Modifying a number of rules;
- Capacity building of professional skills;
- Obtain the necessary political support.
Afghanistan Medical Council, which is still very young, has been able to do significant and meaningful work in introducing and promoting the medical ethics, and there are many good achievements in this field, the main ones being a as follows:
- Development of national guidelines and primary and advanced guidance collections for capacity building and raising public awareness;
- Formulation of medical ethics Regulation;
- Developing different guidelines for Masters Trainers and Health Workers;
- Conducting training sessions to train 900 Master Trainer trainees, at the central zone and two other zones of the country (up to 200 trainers have been trained)
- Formulation of medical ethics Strategy;
- Development of Terms of reference for medical ethics committees.
The Afghanistan Medical Council, with its strategic tips on medical ethics, is committed to its systematic and regular implementation and achievement one by one with God's merciful guidance.
A symbol of cleanliness.
It is apparently clean and sacred inside.
Its texture is pure hence this coat is always pure and a symbol of holiness.
The formal and professional outfit of doctors all over the world; from a three-year-old to 100-year-old European, African or any resident living elsewhere in the world, knows that this uniform belongs to doctors.
Unstained and clean clothes; when a woman and a man sees it, they are attracted to it, and this tendency is based on the same white color. White color, in addition to its characteristics, creats trusting and affecting abilities on others. When they wear white dress, they try to walk in ways that are not impure, whether they are material or moral impurities.
The white coat symbolizes our appearance and inner purity; it is a color that does not accept impurities and shows it immediately;
The preservation of the dignity of this garment is upon every doctor.
A doctors Orison:
Accept my prayers, O’ my Dearest.
I am grateful to be created as a human with the highest level amongst all other creations and to be your representator on earth.
With a world of inability and refinement, I ask you to increase my continuous love and affection for mankind and his supreme status;
Whether man is poor or rich, black or white, free or in bondage, if he is good or bad, everywhere and at all-time enable me to love them, equally;
My dear Lord,
I am one of your instruments, but a small one; grant me and my soul the honor to respect man for who he is and not for his glory and wealth;
Grant me an ambition to consider all humans as your prefect ones.
My Dear God,
How small is my human knowledge;
Support me to renew and update my knowledge continuously.
And also my holy Lord,
Do not allow my hand, heart and soul to misuse the honor, belongings and trust of others.
And you my creator,
You have glorified everything of all time and place, with beauty and honesty.
Grant my eye and my soul an ambition;
To speak the truth and never lie, neither to you nor your servants.